Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Oil Painting Starter Kit

So I have just started an oil painting unit in my art class and I always loved the idea but I never learned how. I am in love! I cannot think of any media that I love more! I was told what we need to start at home and I thought it would be fun to share!
  • Oil Paints: Obviously if you want to oil paint you need paint. Getting a few good quality oil paints is better than getting a really inexpensive kit with 30 colors. This will be a good choice to get plenty of white because the colored pigments go a long way when mixing! Quality before quantity!
  • Paint Brushes: As soon as a brush touches oil paints, it has to be used for oil painting. It will not work for watercolor of acrylics because those are water-soluble, and oils and water don't mix. This should take most of you budget just getting quality brushes.
  • Brush Roll: I can show you guys how to make your own brush roll to keep you expensive oil brushes in! It is extremely cheap and cute and easy to do!
  • Palette: You do not need to spend more that a couple bucks. Do not use plastic though (the Turpenoid with eat through it)! Just get a piece of glass like from a frame and put masking take around the edges and voila! You have a pocket friendly palette!
  • Metal Palette Knife: This can help you mix colors and even paint! It isn't an extreme necessity but it does make it easier! Make sure it is metal though because the Turpenoid will eat through the plastic ones! You only need one palette knife.
  • Turpenoid: Not Turpentine! Turpenoid is the odorless paint thinner for artists! It makes the paints more smooth and liquidy but it takes a lot longer to dry.
  • Canvas or Wallpaper: I am not really sure what else would be appropriate to paint on but I have seen these work!
I can do more in depth posts about the paintbrushes, paints, and other stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment